To be eligible, the applicant must:
- Be admitted to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville for Fall 2017 or Fall 2018 entry
- Reside in one of the 52 Appalachian counties* in Tennessee
- Meet eligibility criteria for federal Pell grants
- Qualify for Tennessee’s HOPE scholarship
- Achieve minimum 21 ACT (980 SAT) OR an overall weighted minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA).
- Select a STEM major in the College of Arts & Sciences, such as:
*Pre-med and pre-dental students interested in the ASPIRE grant will need to choose a major from the list above.
Although all eligible applicants will be reviewed, special consideration will be given to students from the 34 counties classified by the Appalachian Regional Commission** as economically distressed or at-risk, as well as to students who would be the first in their families to attend college and those scoring 25 or higher on the math subsection of the ACT.